Conditions of Use
Chapman’s Peak Drive will, in the interest of user safety, be closed from time to time. This will typically be during times of high winds, heavy rainfall or continuous rain, maintenance or the clearing of rocks caught in the catch fences. Buses can only travel in one direction - from Hout Bay on the northern side to Noordhoek on the southern side of Chapman’s Peak Drive.
Vehicles of the following institutions are, in the performance of duty, exempt from toll fees:
- SA Police Service and SA National Defence Force.
- Western Cape Provincial Administration emergency vehicles and Traffic Police.
- City of Cape Town emergency services vehicles and Traffic Police motor vehicles.
- South African National Parks vehicles.
The following motor vehicles may not use the road:
- Traveling in the direction from North to South (Hout Bay to Noordhoek): Heavy motor vehicles and/or articulated trucks.
- Traveling in the direction from South to North (Noordhoek to Hout Bay): Heavy motor vehicles; Class 4, Class 5 and Class 6 motor vehicles; and any motor vehicle with or without trailer exceeding 2.1m in width.
Restrictions for Cyclists and Runners
- No cyclists under the age of 12 permitted unless accompanied by an adult.
- No cyclists are permitted during hours of darkness.
- Cycling in groups is prohibited - single file only.
Hikers and Walkers:
- Pedestrian movement between Lookout Point and Noordhoek Corner (km 28,6 and km 33,1) is prohibited at all times.
- All animals taken along the road must be leashed at all times.
Runners will not be permitted between Lookout Point and Noordhoek Corner (km 28,6 and km 33,1) during the following hours:
- Weekdays (off-peak season)
07:00 – 08:00 & 16:30 – 18:00
Hours of darkness
- Weekends, Public Holidays & Peak Holiday Period (15 Dec - 5 Jan)
10:00 – 19:00
Hours of darkness